


Ask the community...
Maybe consider keeping it until you've at least paid off the loan? Since you're underwater, you'd have to come up with cash to pay off the remaining loan balance if you sell. Plus, with the depreciation recapture, you might end up with a tax bill too. Sometimes holding an asset a bit longer can make the math work better.
Agreed. I was in a similar situation and calculated that each additional year of business use reduced my effective loss through ongoing deductions. If you continue to use it primarily for business, you can still deduct the actual expenses (gas, maintenance, etc.) or use the standard mileage rate for the business portion. Might make sense to run those numbers.
This is a tough spot to be in! One thing to consider that might help with the cash flow issue is timing the sale strategically. If you're expecting higher income this year, you might want to wait until early next year to sell so the depreciation recapture income hits in a potentially lower tax bracket year. Also, since you're underwater on the loan, you could explore trading it in toward a more fuel-efficient business vehicle rather than selling outright. The dealer might roll the negative equity into the new loan, and if you buy another qualifying business vehicle, you could potentially take advantage of bonus depreciation again on the new purchase to offset some of the recapture tax hit. Just make sure to keep detailed records of business use percentage for both vehicles if you go that route. The IRS gets pretty picky about business vehicle deductions, especially on luxury vehicles like the GLE.
Has anyone had experience with the Foreign Housing Exclusion/Deduction that goes along with FEIE? I'm moving to London next month and I hear housing costs are insane there. Wondering if this additional exclusion makes FEIE better than FTC in high-cost cities?
I used the housing exclusion when I lived in Hong Kong. It was SUPER helpful because housing there is ridiculously expensive. London has a higher limit than many cities - I think for 2025 it's around $32,000 or so in additional exclusion just for housing costs. This can definitely tip the scales in favor of FEIE+Housing Exclusion vs. FTC in high-cost cities, even if the country's tax rate is similar to the US. Run the numbers both ways though - it really depends on your specific situation.
Great question! I went through this exact same decision process when I moved back to the US after working in the UK for several years. One key point that hasn't been fully addressed: you mentioned having $13,500 in excess FTC from 2023 - those credits are gold! Since FTC carryovers last 10 years, you can absolutely use them on your 2025 return even though you used FEIE in 2024. This might actually make your decision easier since you'll get immediate benefit from those carried-forward credits. A few additional considerations for your situation: - If you're planning to stay in the US long-term, FTC might make more sense going forward since you won't qualify for FEIE as a US resident - State taxes: some states don't recognize FEIE but do recognize FTC, so if you're in a state with income tax, this could affect your calculation - Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT): FTC can sometimes trigger AMT issues, while FEIE generally doesn't Since you're back in the US for 2025, you probably won't have foreign earned income anyway, so the FEIE vs FTC decision might be moot for this year. Focus on maximizing the use of those carryover credits from 2023! The switching rules are exactly as others described - you can go from FTC to FEIE anytime, but once you revoke FEIE, there's that 5-year waiting period.
Are any of you using online tax prep software for your C-Corp returns when you actually file? I'm trying to figure out if I should just buy software now and use that to file the extension too, or if that's overkill for just an extension.
I use TaxAct Business for my C-Corp and it handles the extension filing too. It's cheaper than most other business tax software options and pretty straightforward. If you're eventually going to need software to file the full return anyway, might as well get it now and use it for both the extension and return.
As someone who just went through this process last month, I'd strongly recommend e-filing your Form 7004 rather than mailing it, especially if you're cutting it close to the deadline. The IRS free e-file options for business extensions are actually pretty good now. One thing I wish I'd known earlier - even though you're bootstrapping, consider setting aside some cash for the estimated payment. I made the mistake of filing the extension without any payment thinking I could figure it out later, and ended up with interest charges that added up quickly. Even a rough estimate based on your projected profit is better than zero. Also, don't forget to check if your state requires a separate extension filing. Some states automatically extend when you file federal, but others don't. Since you mentioned you're a tech startup, depending on your state's business tax requirements, this could be important to avoid additional penalties. The whole process really doesn't have to be overwhelming - Form 7004 is much simpler than the actual tax return you'll file later!
Putting aside the tax implications which seem identical in your case, consider that the HYSA is guaranteed while the market is not. With a major purchase like a house on the horizon, many financial advisors recommend against putting your down payment in the market if you need it within 2-3 years. The potential upside of the market needs to be weighed against the very real possibility of a 10-30% drawdown right when you need the money. A 5% guaranteed return is actually quite good historically speaking.
Thanks for this perspective. I'm actually leaning toward the HYSA option now, especially after reading everyone's comments. Even though I was specifically asking about tax implications, the risk factor is definitely important since we're hoping to buy in the next 12-18 months. Do you think it makes sense to maybe split the difference? Keep most in HYSA and maybe put a small portion (like 10-15%) in the market as a calculated risk?
That's actually a reasonable approach if you're comfortable with the possibility of having slightly less for your down payment. If you have some flexibility in your home buying plans, putting a small portion (10-15%) in the market could give you some upside potential without risking your core down payment funds. Just make sure that the amount you keep in guaranteed investments (HYSA, CDs, T-bills, etc.) is enough to cover your minimum down payment needs. And consider Treasury bills as part of your guaranteed portion - they're currently offering competitive rates and have the added advantage of being exempt from state taxes, which gives them a slight edge over HYSAs in many cases.
Have you considered Short-Term Treasury Bills instead? They're yielding around 5.3-5.4% right now, and they have a tax advantage over HYSAs because they're exempt from state and local taxes. If you're in a high-tax state, this could give you a better after-tax return than a HYSA.
How do you actually buy treasury bills? Is it complicated? I've been keeping my house fund in a Marcus HYSA but would switch if there's a tax advantage.
You can buy Treasury bills directly from the government through TreasuryDirect.gov - it's actually pretty straightforward once you set up an account. You can also buy them through most major brokerages like Fidelity, Schwab, or Vanguard if you already have accounts there. The main thing to know is that T-bills are sold at a discount and mature at face value - so if you buy a $1,000 T-bill at $950, you get the full $1,000 when it matures. The process is much simpler than I expected, and you can ladder them to have bills maturing regularly to maintain liquidity for your house purchase timeline. Given that you're looking at a 12-18 month timeline, you could set up a ladder of 4-week, 8-week, and 13-week bills to keep your money accessible while getting that state tax exemption benefit.
Connor Gallagher
Random question - if I've already certified in Robinhood but was confused about this, should I try to redo the certification? Or am I fine since I now understand what it actually means?
0 coins
Amara Eze
โขYou're fine. If you're a US person with a US Robinhood account, then the certification you made was correct, even if you didn't fully understand the context at the time. The certification simply confirms that Robinhood doesn't need to report your account to the IRS under FATCA because you're a US person. This has no impact on your separate obligation to report foreign financial assets on Form 8938 if you meet those thresholds. So there's no need to try to redo or correct the certification with Robinhood.
0 coins
Alexander Zeus
This is such a helpful thread! I've been dealing with the exact same confusion across multiple brokerages. It's frustrating that these financial institutions use such unclear language when asking for tax certifications. What I've learned from reading everyone's responses is that there's a critical distinction between: 1. The financial institution's FATCA reporting obligations (what Robinhood's form is about) 2. Your personal FATCA reporting obligations on Form 8938 (completely separate) The certification you're making to Robinhood is essentially saying "As a US person, you don't need to report my US account under FATCA." This doesn't affect whether you need to report foreign assets on your tax return. I think all brokerages should be required to use clearer language like "I certify that this account is exempt from FATCA reporting requirements" instead of making it sound like you're claiming a personal exemption from all FATCA obligations. The current wording creates unnecessary anxiety about committing perjury when you're actually just providing routine account classification information. Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and resources - this has been incredibly clarifying!
0 coins