IRS

CommunityGovernment Services

Can't reach IRS? Claimyr calls for you, so you don't have to wait on hold.

Claimyr is a pay-as-you-go service. We do not charge a recurring subscription.

Using Claimyr will:

  • Connect you to a human agent at the IRS
  • Skip the long phone menu
  • Call the correct department
  • Redial until on hold
  • Forward a call to your phone with reduced hold time
  • Give you free callbacks if the IRS drops your call
Fox KTVUABC 7CBSSan Francisco Chronicle


Ask the community...

  • DO post questions about your issues.
  • DO answer questions and support each other.
  • DO post tips & tricks to help folks.
  • DO NOT post call problems here - there is a support tab at the top for that :)

Understanding Section 1250 Depreciation Recapture When Selling Multiple Rental Properties

I've been diving into the tax implications of selling some rental properties I've owned for about 12 years, and I'm trying to make sure I understand Section 1250 depreciation recapture correctly. From what I gather, the total straight-line depreciation gets taxed as ordinary income, but I want to confirm my thinking: Does the depreciation amount (treated as ordinary income) potentially push you into a higher tax bracket? Like, could this recaptured amount bump me up from one bracket to the next? I've read the depreciation gets taxed at 25% regardless, BUT if I'm bumped into a higher bracket, would some portion of my other income now be taxed at that higher rate? Here's my real question - if selling one property already puts me in the 37% tax bracket for the year, is there any tax disadvantage to selling multiple properties (2-3) in the same year versus staggering the sales over several years? Assuming I'd be in the 37% bracket either way in those years. Would love some clarity before I make any decisions! Thanks in advance!

Has anyone here done a 1031 exchange to avoid the recapture issue altogether? I'm considering selling a property but the depreciation recapture tax would be brutal. Wondering if rolling it into another investment property is worth the hassle and restrictions.

0 coins

I did a 1031 exchange last year and while it was definitely paperwork-intensive, it saved me from a huge tax bill. The key is having a good qualified intermediary who keeps you compliant with all the strict timeframes (45 days to identify potential replacement properties, 180 days to close). The main downside is you're somewhat rushed to find a replacement property, which can lead to making compromised investment decisions. Also, you need to get a property of equal or greater value to fully defer the taxes. But if you're planning to stay in real estate anyway, it can be a great strategy.

0 coins

This is such a timely discussion for me! I'm in a very similar situation with two rental properties I've owned for about 10 years. Reading through everyone's experiences here has been incredibly helpful, especially the real numbers that @Amina Bah shared about the cascading tax effects. One thing I'm realizing from this thread is that the Section 1250 recapture calculation itself is just one piece of a much more complex tax puzzle. The 25% cap sounds great in isolation, but when you factor in NIIT, AMT, and all the other thresholds that get triggered by higher AGI, the total tax impact can be much more significant than expected. @Ava Thompson - have you considered getting a tax projection done before you decide on the timing? It sounds like several people here found value in understanding the full picture before making their sales decisions. The difference between selling in one year versus staggering could be substantial based on what others have shared. I'm definitely going to look into some of the tools mentioned here, particularly for modeling different scenarios. Better to understand the full tax impact upfront than get surprised at tax time!

0 coins

Got 971 notice AND 570 hold on my tax transcript - multiple codes including 810 refund freeze - when will I receive the letter?

I checked my transcript yesterday and saw there's a 971 notice code dated 05/27/2025. I also have a 570 code from 04/25/2025 that shows my refund is on hold. I filed back in early April and my WMR tool has been stuck on 'still processing' for over a month now. Looking at my transcript in detail, I can see several codes: - 806 W-2 or 1099 withholding with date 04-15-2025 - 810 Refund freeze dated 01-31-2025 - 766 Credit to your account dated 04-15-2025 - Another 766 Credit to your account also dated 04-15-2025 - 768 Earned income credit dated 04-15-2025 - 570 Additional account action pending from 03-10-2025 - 971 Notice issued dated 02-17-2025 Does anyone know how long it usually takes to actually receive this notice in the mail? And what might it be about? My transcript shows several credits (766 codes) with a date of 06/15/2025, plus my EIC (768) and withholding credits. There's also that 810 freeze from 01-31-2025 that's concerning me. I'm really frustrated because I've been waiting since early April, and with all these codes showing up, I have no idea what's happening with my refund. The 570 "Additional account action pending" is especially worrying since it's been there for months now. Has anyone dealt with this combination of codes before and can tell me what to expect?

Here's a tip nobody tells you: if you have those codes, especially 570 and 810, there's a good chance they just need to verify your income or identity. Instead of waiting for the letter, be proactive and do ID verification on irs.gov - search for "ID verify" on their site. Might speed things up!

0 coins

thank you! ill try that today

0 coins

I've been in your exact situation before! The 971 notice usually arrives within 7-10 business days of the date shown on your transcript. Given that yours is dated 02/17/2025, you should be getting it very soon if you haven't already. The combination of codes you're seeing - especially the 570 hold, 810 freeze, and 971 notice - typically indicates they're doing a manual review of your return. Since you have a 768 EIC code, there's a good chance they're verifying your Earned Income Credit eligibility, which is one of the most commonly reviewed credits. The good news is that your transcript shows multiple 766 credits with future dates, which means they've already calculated your refund amount - they just haven't released it yet while they complete their review. My advice: be patient for the letter (it's coming!), and once you get it, follow the instructions exactly. If it's just a standard review notice like CP05, you might not need to do anything except wait. If they need documentation, respond promptly to avoid further delays. Don't panic - this is more common than you think, especially with EIC claims. The review process is frustrating but usually resolves within 60-90 days once they get what they need.

0 coins

Winding down my online business: any way to "write off" inventory with Cash Accounting reporting $0 inventory each Tax Year?

I'm shutting down my online store after running it for about 15 years, but I'm stuck with roughly $4,500-$6,000 in inventory that's basically unsellable. With so many office workers permanently working from home now, demand for my products has tanked. It's just not worth my time to engage in the price wars on the platform I've been using, especially since it could create conflicts with my main job. Here's my tax dilemma: I've always used Cash Accounting and reported $0 inventory at the end of each tax year, meaning I already wrote off the purchase cost of this inventory on my Schedule C in whatever year I bought it. So now I'm wondering - do I essentially have worthless office supplies from a tax perspective? Is there any way to disposition this inventory that would give me some kind of write-off or deduction? Or am I just stuck with it? For context, my gross revenue from the business this year was only about $1,400. Any advice on the best strategy here would be greatly appreciated!

Have you thought about just selling everything in bulk on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist? That's what I did when I closed my online bookstore. I sold about $7,000 worth of inventory (original cost) for about $1,800. The nice thing was that since I had already expensed it all under cash accounting, that $1,800 was actually pure profit from a tax perspective - though obviously a loss from a business perspective. At least I got something back!

0 coins

That's actually not a bad idea. Did you have to do anything special on your taxes when reporting that $1,800? Just list it as business income on the Schedule C?

0 coins

Yes, I just reported it as regular business income on my Schedule C for that final year. Nothing special required - just normal income reporting. My accountant did recommend I keep good documentation of the bulk sale with photos of the inventory and the sale listing/agreement, just in case there were any questions later about the business winding down. But the actual tax reporting was straightforward.

0 coins

Another option nobody's mentioned yet - what about donating to a local school or community program? I donated my leftover craft supplies to an after-school program when I shut down my Etsy shop. While I didn't get a tax write-off (already expensed under cash accounting), it felt good knowing the items went to good use instead of the landfill. Some organizations will even pick up from you if the quantity is substantial.

0 coins

I like this idea a lot. Even if there's no tax benefit, at least the items would go to good use. Do you know if schools typically provide any kind of receipt for these donations?

0 coins

Most schools and nonprofits will provide a donation receipt if you ask for one. Even though you won't get a tax deduction in your situation, it's still good to have for your records. I'd recommend taking photos of what you're donating and getting a simple receipt that lists the items and estimated fair market value - just in case you need documentation later for any reason.

0 coins

Filed with TurboTax on 2/15 - Still Shows 'Pending' When IRS Usually Responds Quickly

I submitted my tax return via TurboTax approximately 3 weeks ago, on February 15th, and it still appears to be in 'pending' status. In my previous experience, the IRS typically approves or declines submissions within a relatively short timeframe, often within minutes or hours. I am wondering if perhaps this delay might be a common occurrence during this particular tax season? I have verified all my information multiple times and believe everything to be in order. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I believe I might be able to provide some relevant context here. In my experience, which is somewhat extensive with tax filings, the "pending" status in TurboTax generally means that your return has been transmitted to the IRS but perhaps hasn't been fully integrated into their processing system yet. This tax season seems to be, from what I've observed, particularly backed up compared to previous years. I filed on February 5th and it remained in pending status for approximately 18 days before finally updating. It might be worth checking the IRS Where's My Refund tool directly, as it tends to be somewhat more accurate than the third-party software status indicators.

0 coins

Has anyone else noticed that returns with dependents seem to be taking longer this year? I've filed both ways in past years and my returns with kids always seem to take an extra week or two.

0 coins

I'm experiencing the exact same issue! Filed on 2/14 and still showing pending in TurboTax. I was starting to worry something was wrong with my return since I usually get quick confirmation. Reading all these responses is really reassuring - sounds like this is just the new normal for processing times this year. I'll definitely check the IRS Where's My Refund tool instead of obsessing over the TurboTax status. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and the helpful tips!

0 coins

Self-directed IRA & C-Corp Blocker Structure: Avoiding UBTI While Preventing Prohibited Transactions

I've been diving deeper into the SDIRA world lately, and I'm getting conflicting information about using a C-Corp blocker strategy. Several articles I've read suggest putting a C-Corporation blocker between a self-directed IRA and pass-through equity investments to prevent Unrelated Business Taxable Income (UBTI). But I'm confused about how this actually works in practice. If my SDIRA owns 100% of the C-Corp entity that does the investing, wouldn't this create a Prohibited Transaction since I'm a Disqualified Person? The last thing I want is to have my retirement funds disqualified or hit with penalties. For anyone who's actually done this - is this strategy legitimately possible? What am I missing about the ownership structure that allows this to work without triggering IRS issues? I plan to meet with both a CPA and an attorney who specialize in this area, but wanted to get some real-world insights first to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely or if this is actually a viable approach for my retirement investing.

Another thing to consider with your SDIRA/C-Corp blocker setup is making sure you're not running afoul of the Swanson SDIRA case rules. If you're the only owner/manager of the C-Corp that your IRA owns, you could still have issues. I've found that having at least one truly independent director on the C-Corp board who has actual decision-making authority can help create that necessary separation. The key is demonstrating that there's a genuine arm's length relationship between you and the entity your SDIRA owns.

0 coins

That's really helpful - I hadn't considered adding an independent director. Do you know if there are specific qualifications this person needs to have? And is it enough to just have them on paper, or do they need to be actively involved in investment decisions?

0 coins

The independent director should have genuine decision-making authority - not just be a name on paper. This is about substance over form. They should have relevant business or investment experience and be able to demonstrate they're making independent decisions. The person absolutely cannot be a disqualified person (like your spouse, ancestor, descendant, or certain business partners). Documentation of their involvement is crucial - meeting minutes, communications about investment decisions, etc. You want a clear paper trail showing they're not just a rubber stamp for your wishes.

0 coins

Has anyone here actually calculated whether a C-Corp blocker is worth it from a tax perspective? I'm trying to compare potential tax savings from avoiding UBTI vs. the corporate tax the C-Corp will pay plus potential double taxation on dividends.

0 coins

Thanks for sharing your experience! That 15% savings is substantial. Were there any particular strategies you used to minimize the dividends while still getting value from the investments? I'm concerned about having money trapped in the C-Corp structure.

0 coins

The strategy I used was to have the C-Corp reinvest most of its profits back into additional investments rather than distributing dividends. This keeps the money working and growing within the corporate structure while avoiding immediate double taxation. When I eventually want to access the value, my SDIRA can sell its shares in the C-Corp (either to another party or through a liquidation), which would be treated as a capital gain at the IRA level - meaning no immediate tax since it's in the retirement account. The other approach some people use is having the C-Corp make loans back to the IRA for other investments, though you have to be very careful about the terms to avoid prohibited transaction issues. I kept it simple and just focused on growth within the corporate structure.

0 coins

Prev1...23132314231523162317...5645Next