IRS

Pay nothing until a live IRS agent is on the phone with you.

Can't reach IRS? Claimyr calls for you, so you don't have to wait on hold.

$0 upfront. We only hold your card.
No live agent, no charge.

$9.99 is charged only once a live IRS agent is on the phone with you.

Using Claimyr will:

  • Connect you to a human agent at the IRS
  • Skip the long phone menu
  • Call the correct department
  • Redial until on hold
  • Forward a call to your phone with reduced hold time
  • Give you free callbacks if the IRS drops your call
Fox KTVUABC 7CBSSan Francisco Chronicle


Ask the community...

  • DO post questions about your issues.
  • DO answer questions and support each other.
  • DO post tips & tricks to help folks.
  • DO NOT post call problems here - there is a support tab at the top for that :)

Mikayla Brown

โ€ข

Just to add a practical perspective here - I work at a bank (not a tax professional). What you're describing happens ALL THE TIME with home purchases. We regularly see couples consolidating funds for closing. There's absolutely no tax implication for this. The only thing to be aware of is that some banks have daily transfer limits on how much you can move electronically between accounts. You might need to call your bank in advance to approve a temporary limit increase, or use a wire transfer instead of a regular ACH transfer for speed and higher limits. Also, make sure your bank knows a large deposit and withdrawal is coming for a home purchase - this helps avoid any unnecessary account freezes or security holds, which can be stressful during a time-sensitive closing.

0 coins

Sean Matthews

โ€ข

Is there any difference if the accounts are at different banks? I'll be in a similar situation but my spouse and I use completely different banks.

0 coins

Mikayla Brown

โ€ข

If you're using different banks, I'd recommend a wire transfer rather than an ACH transfer. Wire transfers typically clear immediately (though they usually have a fee of $20-35), while ACH transfers between different banks can take 1-3 business days to clear. Most importantly, with a home purchase, you don't want any delays with funds availability. When receiving a large wire transfer for a home closing, inform both the sending and receiving banks about the purpose. This helps avoid security holds that could delay your closing. Also, remember that wire transfers done later in the day might not process until the next business day, so plan accordingly for your closing timeline.

0 coins

Ali Anderson

โ€ข

My husband and I did exactly what you're planning when we bought our house last year. We consolidated everything in my account and did a single cashier's check. Absolutely zero tax issues came from it. The key is that this isn't new income - it's just moving existing money that's already in your financial ecosystem. The IRS cares about new income, not reshuffling existing funds that have already been taxed. We kept our closing documents just to be safe, but no one ever questioned it. One tip though - call your bank a few days before to let them know about the incoming large deposit and that you'll need a cashier's check shortly after. Some banks place holds on large deposits, which could mess up your closing timeline if you're not prepared.

0 coins

Zadie Patel

โ€ข

Did you do electronic transfer or actual check deposit? And how long did you wait between getting the money and getting the cashier's check? My closing is next week and I'm getting nervous about timing everything right!

0 coins

We did an electronic transfer (wire transfer) from my husband's account to mine, and I got the cashier's check the next business day. Since you're closing next week, I'd recommend doing the transfer ASAP if you haven't already - don't wait until the last minute! Make sure to call both banks ahead of time. Tell your husband's bank you're doing a large wire transfer for a home purchase, and tell your bank you're expecting a large incoming wire and will need a cashier's check immediately after it clears. Most banks can have the cashier's check ready within a few hours of the wire clearing, but giving them a heads up prevents any delays or holds that could mess up your closing timeline. You've got this - it's way more straightforward than it seems when you're stressed about the closing!

0 coins

Don't forget textbooks and required course materials count as qualified expenses too! Even if your Box 5 is higher than Box 1, you might have spent money on required textbooks, lab fees, or equipment that isn't included in Box 1 but can be added to your qualified expenses. Keep all your receipts for these expenses. This could help you claim at least a partial education credit even without the scholarship allocation strategy.

0 coins

Dylan Mitchell

โ€ข

This is so true. I spent almost $1,200 on required textbooks and online access codes last year that weren't included in my 1098-T Box 1 amount. Adding those in made a big difference in my education credit calculation.

0 coins

QuantumQuest

โ€ข

Great point about textbooks and required materials! I actually did spend quite a bit on books and lab equipment that wasn't reflected in Box 1. I have receipts for probably around $800-900 in required textbooks, online homework systems, and lab supplies. So if I understand correctly, I could add those expenses to the $16,250 shown in Box 1, giving me closer to $17,000+ in total qualified expenses. Then I'd subtract my $18,750 in scholarships, which would still leave me with negative qualified expenses, but at least it reduces the gap. Combined with potentially allocating some of my Pell Grant to living expenses (which I definitely had - rent, groceries, etc.), this might actually work out where I can claim a decent portion of the American Opportunity Credit. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

0 coins

Axel Bourke

โ€ข

I went through a Hometap agreement about 18 months ago and can share some real-world experience. The initial $80k I received wasn't taxable income, which was a relief. But here's what caught me off-guard: when I refinanced my primary mortgage 8 months later, the underwriter needed extensive documentation about the equity share agreement because it affects your home's equity position. From a tax planning perspective, I've been treating it like I have a "silent partner" in my home's appreciation. I'm keeping meticulous records of all improvements (new roof, kitchen remodel) because these will adjust my cost basis when I eventually settle with Hometap. My CPA advised getting a formal appraisal when the agreement started to establish a clear baseline value - something I wish I'd known upfront. One unexpected benefit: since there are no monthly payments, my debt-to-income ratio actually improved, which helped with other financial decisions. But the psychological aspect of knowing someone else has a stake in your home's future value takes some getting used to.

0 coins

Dananyl Lear

โ€ข

This is such a valuable thread - I've been weighing the same decision between equity sharing and a HELOC for months. What really strikes me from all these experiences is how critical the documentation and record-keeping aspect is, regardless of which route you choose. For those considering the equity sharing route, it sounds like the key success factors are: 1) Get a professional appraisal at the start to establish baseline value, 2) Maintain meticulous records of all improvements with proper categorization between repairs and capital improvements, 3) Understand your state's specific tax treatment, and 4) Model out multiple appreciation scenarios before signing. The tools mentioned here (taxr.ai for agreement analysis and Claimyr for actually reaching the IRS) seem like they could save a lot of headaches. I'm particularly interested in the point about how improvements during the agreement period can actually work in your favor by reducing the equity company's share of appreciation - that's a perspective I hadn't considered. One question for the group: has anyone dealt with the tax implications if you move and rent out your home while the equity sharing agreement is still active? I might need to relocate for work but don't want to sell immediately, and I'm wondering how that complicates the tax picture.

0 coins

Khalid Howes

โ€ข

Great summary of the key success factors! Regarding your question about converting to a rental while the equity sharing agreement is active - this adds a whole new layer of complexity that you'll definitely want to discuss with a tax professional before making the move. When you convert your primary residence to a rental property, you're essentially starting the depreciation clock for tax purposes, which affects your cost basis. The equity sharing company's percentage would still apply to the total appreciation, but now you'd also have depreciation recapture issues when you eventually sell. Plus, rental income would be taxable, while the rental expenses might be deductible - but the equity sharing agreement could complicate how you calculate your basis in the property for depreciation purposes. I'd strongly recommend getting specific guidance on this scenario before relocating, as it could significantly impact both your ongoing tax obligations and the eventual settlement calculation with the equity company. The timing of when you convert to rental use versus when the equity agreement terminates could make a substantial difference in your total tax liability.

0 coins

Zainab Ahmed

โ€ข

One more thing - did your 1099-INT from Robinhood have any entries in Box 2 (Early withdrawal penalty)? I'm also an NRA and noticed that even though the interest itself is exempt, if there are any early withdrawal penalties, those are handled differently.

0 coins

Connor Byrne

โ€ข

Not OP but I had this exact situation. Box 2 early withdrawal penalties actually reduce your taxable income even if the interest itself isn't taxable for NRAs. Kind of a weird situation where you might want to file just to claim that deduction if it's substantial.

0 coins

Omar Zaki

โ€ข

I want to add something important that hasn't been mentioned yet - make sure you have the proper documentation to support the NRA exemption. Even though the interest is generally exempt, you should keep records showing your non-resident status. If Robinhood didn't have your proper tax status on file (Form W-8BEN), they might have withheld taxes at 30%. In that case, you'd actually need to file Form 1040NR to get a refund of the overwithholding, even though the underlying interest income isn't taxable. Also, double-check that your 1099-INT specifically shows interest from bank deposits versus money market funds. While both are typically exempt for NRAs, the specific exemption sections are different and it's good to understand exactly which applies to your situation.

0 coins

Amara Oluwaseyi

โ€ข

Did you receive any specific error code during verification? I had to verify my identity exactly 37 days ago, and my transcript was blank for exactly 14 days afterward. On day 15, it suddenly showed all information including my direct deposit date which was scheduled for 5 days later. Have you tried checking at different times of day? The IRS systems update transcripts at precisely 3:30am, 11:45am, and 6:15pm Eastern time in my experience.

0 coins

Oliver Schmidt

โ€ข

I'm going through the exact same thing right now! Completed my ID verification through ID.me on March 5th and my transcript is still completely empty. It's so stressful not knowing when it'll update, especially when you're depending on that refund for important expenses. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like 14-21 days is pretty typical, which means I might have another week or two to wait. Has anyone found that calling the IRS actually speeds things up, or do they just tell you to keep waiting? Really hoping we all get our updates soon! ๐Ÿคž

0 coins

Prev1...13881389139013911392...5645Next