< Back to FAFSA

Sofia Rodriguez

FAFSA shows my 2023 high income but I'm unemployed now - college won't decide aid until July?

I'm completely stressed about my son's financial aid situation. I lost my job in December and have been job hunting for 4 months with no luck. When I filed the FAFSA, it used my 2023 income which was the highest I've ever made ($78K). Now I'm on unemployment which is barely covering our bills. My son got accepted to his dream school but they only offered a $6,500 merit scholarship. I contacted their financial aid office last week explaining my current unemployment and that the jobs I'm interviewing for would pay around $52K-58K at best. I asked if there was any way to adjust our aid based on my current situation. The financial aid officer told me to "just check my email in July" and they'd let me know then if they could offer additional aid. JULY?? Deposits are due May 1st! When I pointed this out, they just said that's their process and couldn't guarantee anything. Is this normal? How am I supposed to commit $32K for freshman year when I literally don't have an income right now? Do schools actually adjust aid packages after the deposit deadline? I'm a single mom with full custody and no support - I feel completely stuck.

Dmitry Ivanov

•

Unfortunately this is happening to a lot of people this year with the new FAFSA rollout and the SAI calculation changes. Schools are overwhelmed and behind schedule. That said, there's a formal process for this exact situation called a "Professional Judgment" or "Special Circumstances Appeal" - the school should have directed you to this process instead of telling you to wait until July. Call the financial aid office again and specifically ask for their "Professional Judgment" form for income reduction. Explain that you need this processed before the May 1 deadline. You'll need to provide documentation of your job loss (termination letter, unemployment benefits statement) and any job offers showing lower expected income. Be persistent - sometimes different financial aid counselors will give different answers.

0 coins

Thank you for this! I didn't know there was a specific form I should ask for. Do you think I should try calling every day until I get someone helpful? I'm worried about being labeled as "difficult" and that hurting our chances.

0 coins

Ava Thompson

•

my sister went thru this last yr. the school made her pay the deposit and then adjusted the aid in june. she got like $8k more but had to pay the deposit first. its rly crappy how they do this 2 ppl who lost jobs

0 coins

That's so frustrating! Did she have to pay the full deposit amount? We're talking about $3,200 for the deposit which I would have to put on a credit card at this point.

0 coins

Financial aid professional here. What you're experiencing is what we call an "income appeal" or "special circumstances review," and the school is handling it incorrectly. Federal regulations specifically allow (and encourage) schools to adjust your FAFSA data due to job loss or significant income reduction. Here's what you should do: 1. Submit a formal Special Circumstances Appeal in writing. Most schools have a specific form on their website. 2. Include documentation: termination letter, unemployment benefit statements, recent job search outcomes showing lower income potential. 3. Request an adjustment to your Estimated Family Contribution (now called SAI) based on your projected 2024 income. 4. Explicitly state that you need this decision before the May 1 deposit deadline as it directly impacts your enrollment decision. 5. If they insist on the July timeline, ask to speak with the Director of Financial Aid, not just a counselor. Schools legally CANNOT tell you to wait until July - they must review special circumstances in a timely manner if it affects enrollment decisions. Be polite but firm about this point.

0 coins

Thank you for this detailed advice. I've found the Special Circumstances form on their website but it says processing takes 4-6 weeks. May 1st is only 2 weeks away. Should I still submit it? And should I go ahead and pay the deposit to hold his spot even though we might not be able to afford it?

0 coins

Zainab Ali

•

Have you tried CALLING the Federal Student Aid hotline directly to ask about this? Getting someone on the phone could help. I waited 3 hours on hold last month trying to fix something on my daughter's FAFSA and finally gave up. Then I found this service called Claimyr (claimyr.com) that holds your place in line and calls you when an agent is available. Saved me hours of waiting and I actually got a super helpful person who explained all my options for income appeals. They have a demo video showing how it works: https://youtu.be/TbC8dZQWYNQ Even though the school makes the final aid decision, the FSA people can tell you exactly what documentation you need and what your rights are in this situation.

0 coins

I didn't even think about calling FSA directly! I assumed this was all up to the individual school. I'll check out that service - honestly I can't sit on hold for hours with everything else going on right now.

0 coins

Connor Murphy

•

the whole system is RIGGED against working parents!! i had same issue 2 years ago when i got laid off and my daughters college refused to adjust anything until after deposits. we ended up having to choose her safety school because they were the only ones who adjusted the package before May 1. so angry about it still!!!!

0 coins

Ava Thompson

•

FACTS!!! these schools sit on BILLIONS in endowments and then make families choose colleges without knowing true cost. its criminal

0 coins

I'm starting to worry we'll have to do the same thing. His safety school already processed our appeal and increased his package by $12K, but he's had his heart set on his first choice for years.

0 coins

Yara Nassar

•

What a stressful situation! I went through something similar last year when my husband had a medical emergency right after FAFSA submission. One thing that helped us was asking if the school would waive or reduce the deposit amount given our circumstances. 3 out of 4 schools agreed to this. The deposit is usually a sign of commitment more than anything else. I'd also suggest preparing for both possibilities - submit the special circumstances form AND start talking with your son about the financial reality. Sometimes the dream school just isn't possible, and it's better to have that conversation now than after you've paid deposits. Remember, transfer is always an option after a year if your financial situation improves.

0 coins

Thank you for the suggestion about asking for a reduced deposit - I hadn't thought of that. I've been avoiding the hard conversation with my son, but you're right that we need to talk about it now rather than later.

0 coins

StarGazer101

•

Call financial aid and ask to escalate to director. Then ask for deans office if still no help. Schools can make appeals decisions quickly when they want to - my niece had decision in 10 days when we pushed hard enough. Be the squeaky wheel! Deposits are just to hold spot anyway, they might even refund if you explain situation and then cant attend due to final aid package.

0 coins

I'll try this approach. I've been too timid about pushing back, worried about ruining his chances. Do you think calling daily is too aggressive?

0 coins

StarGazer101

•

Not daily but maybe 2x week. Be polite but firm. Ask for names each time & follow up emails documenting convos. Paper trail is important!

0 coins

Dmitry Ivanov

•

One more important point - ask the school about their deposit refund policy. Some schools will refund deposits if financial aid appeals are denied after the deadline. Get this in writing if they offer it. Also, if you haven't already, complete the CSS Profile if this school requires it. Some private schools use this for their institutional aid in addition to FAFSA, and it has more detailed questions about special circumstances. Finally, remember that the first offer is rarely the final offer. Most schools hold back some aid for negotiations and appeals. Be persistent but professional, and document every conversation.

0 coins

Thank you for this additional advice. They do require the CSS Profile and I completed it last month. I'll definitely ask about their deposit refund policy - that could make a huge difference in our decision.

0 coins

Zainab Ali

•

Just want to add - when you submit your Special Circumstances form, include a cover letter with a clear timeline. State when you lost your job, when you contacted them initially, and emphasize that waiting until July puts an undue hardship on your family. Also include actual numbers - your previous income, current unemployment benefits, and projected income based on current job prospects. I've found that being extremely specific helps financial aid officers make quicker decisions. "I'm requesting an adjustment to reflect my current unemployment income of $X per month and projected 2024 income of $Y based on current job offers" is better than "I make less now.

0 coins

This is really helpful! I'll put together a detailed cover letter with all the specific numbers and timelines. I think I was being too vague in my communications with them.

0 coins

Dylan Cooper

•

I'm so sorry you're going through this stress - the timing couldn't be worse with everything happening at once. As someone who works in higher education administration, I want to emphasize what others have said about being persistent with the Special Circumstances Appeal. One strategy that often works is to frame this as an urgent enrollment decision rather than just a financial aid question. When you call, say something like "I need to make an enrollment decision by May 1st and cannot do so without knowing our revised financial aid package based on my job loss." This puts the urgency on them to process it quickly. Also, if you haven't already, reach out to your son's admissions counselor (not just financial aid). Sometimes admissions can put pressure on financial aid to expedite appeals for students they really want to enroll. They have different priorities and timelines. Keep pushing - you have every right to expect a timely response to a legitimate special circumstances appeal. Don't let them make you feel like you're asking for something unreasonable.

0 coins

FAFSA AI

Expert Assistant
Secure

Powered by Claimyr AI

T
I
+
43,512 users helped today