< Back to FAFSA

Ella Lewis

FAFSA eligibility for second graduate degree before finishing first MA?

I've hit a career roadblock with my current graduate program and need FAFSA advice. I'm one semester away from completing my MA in TESOL, but life took an unexpected turn when I became pregnant (was planning to teach abroad). Now I'm teaching preschool and realizing an MA in Early Childhood Education would open more doors locally. Has anyone applied for financial aid for a SECOND graduate program while putting their FIRST on hold? Will FAFSA even consider funding a new master's when I haven't completed the first one? I'm worried about hitting lifetime borrowing limits if I pursue two graduate degrees back-to-back. Any experience with this situation?

congrats on the baby! i think its gonna be a problem with fafsa because theres limits on how much aid you can get and youll look like a professional student to them. maybe finish the 1 semester left first? just my 2 cents

0 coins

Ella Lewis

•

Thanks! The problem is I'd need to do student teaching abroad to finish the TESOL degree, which isn't feasible with a baby. So I'm really stuck between programs right now.

0 coins

You'll face a few challenges with FAFSA for this plan: 1. There's a lifetime aggregate loan limit for graduate students (currently $138,500 for most programs) 2. You usually can't receive federal aid for two degree programs simultaneously 3. Your SAI (Student Aid Index) calculation won't change just because you're switching programs Your best strategy might be to officially withdraw from the TESOL program (not just take a leave of absence), then apply for the ECE program as your sole degree pursuit. Later, you can potentially return to complete the TESOL degree, but be aware of those lifetime loan limits.

0 coins

Alexis Renard

•

Wait so if you withdraw instead of taking a leave that actually helps with FAFSA?? Seems counter intuitive...

0 coins

Alexis Renard

•

I'm in a similar boat! Except I started a MSW program, had health issues, and now want to switch to healthcare admin. When I talked to financial aid, they warned me about the "Satisfactory Academic Progress" requirements. If you've received aid for courses you didn't complete, that can mess up future eligibility. Did your TESOL program have any incomplete courses that FAFSA paid for?

0 coins

Ella Lewis

•

No incompletes, thankfully. I've passed everything so far with decent grades. Just that final semester with student teaching overseas is the issue. Did your financial aid office give you any specific advice about switching programs?

0 coins

Camila Jordan

•

I successfully navigated this exact situation with my graduate degrees. The key factors that will determine your FAFSA eligibility: 1. Your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status 2. Whether you've reached your aggregate loan limits 3. The official status of your withdrawal/leave from the TESOL program I recommend: - Request an official exit interview with your current program's financial aid department - Get documentation showing you're in good academic standing - Have them calculate your current aggregate loan usage - Formally withdraw (not leave of absence) from the TESOL program - Apply to the ECE program as a new student This approach worked for me when switching from an MBA to an MPH program.

0 coins

Ella Lewis

•

This is incredibly helpful - thank you! I'll definitely schedule that exit interview. Did you end up going back to finish your first degree eventually?

0 coins

Tyler Lefleur

•

Have you called Federal Student Aid directly about this? Their phone line has the most up-to-date information on graduate program switching. I was on hold for TWO HOURS last month trying to sort out a similar issue with my doctorate.

0 coins

I had the same issue trying to contact FSA about graduate loan consolidation. After multiple disconnects, I used a service called Claimyr (claimyr.com) that held my place in line and called when an agent was available. Saved me hours of frustration and got my loan questions answered. They have a video showing how it works: https://youtu.be/TbC8dZQWYNQ

0 coins

Max Knight

•

FINISH YOUR DEGREE!!! One semester left is NOTHING. You're throwing money away if you don't finish. Who cares if you never use the degree, employers just want to see COMPLETION. The fact that you're considering abandoning at the finish line is a huge red flag tbh.

0 coins

Ella Lewis

•

I understand your perspective, but the final semester requires international student teaching, which I can't do with a newborn. It's not just a matter of a few classes I could take locally.

0 coins

Max Knight

•

Oh that does make it harder, sorry for being harsh. Can you negotiate with your program for an alternative final project? With COVID they must have created some exceptions for international requirements.

0 coins

After reading all these comments, I think you should consider one more option: talk to both departments about creating a customized dual-degree or certificate addition. Many universities now offer pathway programs between related graduate degrees, especially in education fields. You might be able to: 1. Complete modified TESOL requirements (domestic practice instead of international) 2. Apply some of your TESOL credits toward the ECE program 3. Finish with both credentials in less time than two separate degrees This could also help with your FAFSA situation since you'd be enrolled in a single, continuous program rather than stopping and starting.

0 coins

Ella Lewis

•

This is brilliant - I hadn't even considered this approach! I'm going to reach out to both department heads this week to see if something like this is possible. Thank you for thinking outside the box!

0 coins

my roommate did something like this where she paused her masters in public health to do a nursing program and then went back. fafsa was fine with it but she had to be super careful about the timing of when she withdrew vs when she applied for the new program. something about enrollment verification dates?

0 coins

Alexis Renard

•

The enrollment verification is super important! My cousin lost a semester of eligibility because she withdrew after the verification date but before actually starting classes. The financial aid office counted it as a semester of aid used even though she never took the classes.

0 coins

As someone who works in financial aid administration, I want to emphasize a few key points that haven't been fully addressed: 1. **Aggregate loan limits are SERIOUS** - At $138,500 for grad school, you need to know exactly where you stand before making any moves. Request a detailed breakdown from your current school's FA office. 2. **Program completion rates matter** - FAFSA tracks your completion percentage across ALL programs. If you've completed 75% of your TESOL degree, withdrawing could hurt your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculations for future aid. 3. **State aid considerations** - Don't forget about state grants! Some states have stricter rules about degree switching than federal aid does. Before you do ANYTHING, get these three things in writing from your financial aid office: your current aggregate loan balance, your SAP status, and a projection of how withdrawing would affect future eligibility. The dual-degree suggestion from @Brianna Schmidt is honestly your best bet if the departments will work with you. Also - have you looked into whether your TESOL program offers any domestic alternatives for the international requirement? Many programs added flexibility post-2020.

0 coins

FAFSA AI

Expert Assistant
Secure

Powered by Claimyr AI

T
I
+
43,512 users helped today