


Ask the community...
btw if ur really stuck waiting u can try submitting a FAFSA correction for something super minor like fixing a typo in ur address. sometimes that can bump ur app out of the queue and back in faster. worked for my friend last semester but might not always work lol
This is actually not recommended during reprocessing. Making corrections while an application is already flagged can cause it to be flagged again for multiple corrections, potentially extending the processing time further. It's best to let the current process complete before making any additional changes.
I'm sorry you're going through this stress! I went through a similar situation two years ago when my FAFSA got flagged. Here are a few things that helped me: 1. **Contact your school's emergency aid office** - Many schools have separate emergency financial aid funds for students in situations exactly like yours. They can sometimes provide bridge funding while you wait. 2. **Ask about payment plan options** - Even if your aid is delayed, some schools will let you set up a payment plan that gives you more time to pay once your aid comes through. 3. **Check if your state has emergency aid programs** - Some states have quick-disbursing emergency aid for students facing financial aid delays. 4. **Document your timeline** - Keep records of when everything happened. If this causes you to miss enrollment deadlines, having documentation can help you appeal later. The waiting is awful, but most flagged applications do get resolved eventually. In my case, it took about 5 weeks during peak season, but I was able to get emergency aid from my school that covered me until then. Hang in there and definitely pursue all the suggestions others have given about calling FSA and asking about provisional aid!
Thanks everyone for the advice. I called my daughter's financial aid office this morning, and they confirmed I should NOT change which parent reports unless there's been a major change in living situation. Since her mom did it last year and my daughter still technically lived with her more than me (even though it's close to 50/50 now), we'll stick with her mom filing again. They said changing would likely trigger verification and potentially delay her aid. I appreciate all the help!
Will do! I'll talk to her mom about getting it submitted early. One more question - if our living situation does change substantially next year and my daughter lives with me most of the time, should we plan to switch then? Or once we've established a parent for FAFSA, should we stick with them for all four years?
If there's a substantial change where your daughter genuinely lives with you more than 50% of the time, you can switch. Just be prepared to document this change if asked. The financial aid office may request proof like updated custody agreements, bills showing your address as her primary residence, etc. And definitely contact the financial aid office before making the switch to understand what documentation might be required.
As a newcomer to this community, I just wanted to say thank you for this incredibly helpful thread! I'm in a similar situation with my son starting college next year and his father and I are separated. Reading through all these responses has really clarified the importance of being consistent with which parent files the FAFSA. I was initially thinking we could just pick whichever parent would result in more aid, but now I understand that's not how it works and could cause serious problems. The advice about calling the financial aid office first is gold - I'll definitely do that before we submit anything. It's reassuring to see a community where people share their real experiences, even the messy ones!
That's a good plan. If you want to be proactive in the meantime, you could look into completing your entrance counseling and Master Promissory Note on studentaid.gov - that way you'll be ready when the loans do appear in your Tarleton portal. It might save you some time later!
I'm a new student going through this exact same thing right now! Reading through all these responses has been SO helpful. I was literally about to call the financial aid office tomorrow morning in a panic, but now I understand this is totally normal. It's reassuring to hear from so many people who went through the same process. I'm going to take the advice about doing the entrance counseling and MPN ahead of time so I'm ready when the loans show up. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences - this community is amazing for us newbies trying to figure all this out!
this is y i did everything online even tho the website is garbage. at least u get confirmation right away
I tried to do everything online but kept getting this weird error code when I tried to upload my documents. The FSA website told me I had to mail them instead. Trust me, this wasn't my first choice!
Hey Amara! I'm in a similar boat - mailed my verification docs to Kentucky about 10 days ago and the waiting is killing me too! Based on what everyone's saying here, it sounds like we're looking at 3-4 weeks minimum which is so stressful with deadlines coming up. I'm really glad to hear your school gave you that extension though - that takes some pressure off! One thing that might help while we wait: I've been screenshotting my studentaid.gov account daily so I have proof of when my status changes (or doesn't change lol). My financial aid counselor suggested doing this in case there are any disputes later about processing times. Also keeping my fingers crossed that maybe we'll get lucky and they'll process ours faster than expected! Keep us posted on when yours comes through - I'll do the same. We got this! 💪
Miguel Ramos
One more thing to consider: the 2023 income that's affecting your 2025-2026 FAFSA won't be relevant for your daughter's sophomore year FAFSA. The FAFSA now uses income from two years prior, so her 2026-2027 FAFSA will use your 2024 income (which won't include the IRA distribution). So even in the worst-case scenario where your appeal isn't successful, this is only affecting one year of aid eligibility. That doesn't solve your immediate problem, but it might provide some peace of mind for future planning.
0 coins
Dylan Campbell
•That is actually a huge relief to hear. I was worried this would follow us through all four years of college. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel!
0 coins
Giovanni Gallo
I'm so sorry you're going through this stress! As someone who just went through the college application process with my own kid, I wanted to share that you should also look into your state's financial aid programs. Many states have their own grant programs that use different criteria than federal aid, and some are more forgiving about one-time income spikes like yours. Also, don't forget to check if your daughter qualifies for any merit-based scholarships at her school - these aren't affected by your SAI at all. Even if the appeal process takes time, having multiple financial aid strategies in place can help reduce the overall cost. You're being such a great advocate for your daughter by researching all these options. The fact that you eliminated that high-interest debt was actually a smart long-term financial move, even if it's causing short-term aid complications.
0 coins